MONTREAL — Montreal police said Friday that they have no leads in a mass shooting outside a Montreal mall that killed a man, injuring nine people and leaving a 15-year-old girl dead.
Quebec provincial police said officers have located all the relatives who disappeared after the Wednesday night shooting, but there is no new information. Police say they are not ruling out that the person who pulled the trigger was among the wounded.
The attack occurred during the busy lunch hour at Centre Vidéotron, a shopping mall on the island of Montreal. Police said early Friday a man identified by witnesses as the shooter had been found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his apartment near the shooting scene.
Quebec Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux said Thursday that authorities were considering the possibility that a shooting was somehow linked to firearms but officers were still investigating. He said the firearms used appeared to be handguns.
The popular shopping mall has 986 stores and is part of the Régie du logement, the provincial land transfer agency that is responsible for regulating ownership and control of land in the Montreal region. Its location has set off alarm bells among security experts, who say it could be the type of place targeted by would-be terrorists who could target tourists on their way to other popular sites.
The Quebec City home of Alexandre Bissonnette, the gunman, is located in a heavily congested residential district.