Toronto drivers are caught in ‘road-mageddon’ for months on end

The turning off of a busy northern Toronto street is being called a “block-mageddon,” after the detour, which stretches for miles, has left many drivers stuck in a seemingly perpetual circle.

In fact, drivers say the delays don’t end when the road closure ends.

The road closure is on Hugh Boyd Road, just north of Lakeshore Boulevard, near the Harry Chapin Lakeshore charity concert, which drew thousands last July.

Temperatures were in the single digits.

According to CBC, residents believe the road closure is due to “an underground tunnel that used to connect the old Army Museum at the Hugh Boyd Transit Center with the highrise buildings in the nearby highrise development.”

The TTC says a contractor has been going through the site “with an excavator digging up portions of the old tunnel that have been discovered.”

No official word from the TTC as to why the repair work continues. It was previously reported it could take months to repair.

The TTC website does not give an exact time frame for the road closure.

Still, some users — like “Ingrid 19” on the TTC’s Twitter account (@IntheGroundyy) — report that the cause is obvious.

“Really??? What’s the reason for this crazy/impossible jam?” she asks.

“Tweaked pipes, pipe leaks/damage or some other underground issue?”

Markus Schaefer said he’s lost lots of days during the construction.

“I missed three days of work while there was an incident there, and other than a small time shift for the whole division when they cleared the blocked intersection, I had a disastrous 36 days of no days off at work,” he told CBC.

TGR Roadway is a website that tracks and reports road construction. According to its reports, the construction wrapped up late February.

But since then, the site has noted that the road closure hasn’t “moved at all” since it was “pushed back to May 15 from April 9.”

The confusion has escalated.

CBC offered a possible explanation for the reason for the long blockage: there are several police officers in the area with a helicopter keeping an eye on the construction and keeping the drivers in line.

Residents aren’t willing to believe that explanation.

“I don’t understand how it’s not going to get through by now?” a resident in the area, Heather and David Segarra, told CBC.

Another resident, Grant Humphreys, said he is frustrated “for Toronto’s sake” and calls the road closure a “mile-mageddon.”

Dan Fuller, a city councilor for the area, told CBC the roadway was an emergency remedy and there have been concerns about the tunnel. He said he has asked for it to be addressed.

Matthew Seshita, the TTC’s operations director, said the city was “advised to go in and re-open the roadway” and that the “work is taking longer than we originally planned.”

As of last week, the TTC had not received any answers from the province’s Transportation Ministry as to what’s going on.

“We’re hoping to get some definitive answers soon,” Seshita said.

Leave a Comment